Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog Action Day

In honor of Blog Action Day, I am posting an image of David Trubridge's spectacular pendant lamps, available at DWR.


The lamps, inspired by the crystalline patterns found in nature, are constructed from Australian sustainable-plantation-grown hoop pine untreated plywood. On his website, David poetically describes his process:

My ideas come from the wild places,
edges of turbulence and renewal,
where seas break on beaches and headlands,
where land and air meet on mountain ridges.

I make forms of elemental simplicity,
as the erosion of air and water on wood and stone,
forms that speak of humanity's survival on earth,
of life's fragility and dependence,
of comfort in the ways of the past that have succoured us,
and optimism for a sustainable and enriching future.

I work within the limits of what I have and know,
simplicity and low impact,
natural materials and processes,
leaving a delicate footprint.

What a beautiful sentiment. These lamps are gorgeous, lacy confection and combine an ecological sensibility with a mastery of form. I only wish I could actually afford them.

No comments: