Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Marian Bantjes Shows Off



I am so super duper excited about Marian Bantjes's upcoming visit to the Central Coast. Due to random forces beyond my control, Marian agreed to do a show (her first ever one woman gallery exhibition) in our humble University Art Gallery. Technically, I am the curator of this show, although my task was ridiculously easy (except for stringing all those itty bitty little hearts on vellum that dangle from the big LOVE banner) as Marian planned the layout and installation of the work down to the last minutiae. The show is absolutely stunning and provides a rare insight into the workings of a hyper-creative mind. Marian's choice of media is diverse and unconventional, ranging from traditional drawing materials to sugar and fake fur. She is incredibly prolific, yet her work always maintains an astonishingly high (i.e., mind blowing) level of detail and intricacy.

The show includes over 130 separate pieces and provides the viewer with an opportunity to experience a full range of Marian’s creative endeavors, including: original drawings, paintings, fabric pattern design, typeface development and tons of printed pieces on unique substrates using way cool techniques (like laser cutting and foil stamping). It rocks my world. If my students aren't inspired and fired up by this, I will sink into a deep pit of despair.



No comments: