Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Starbucks: Old vs. New Logo


For a short time only, Starbucks has returned to their original twin-tailed, Rubenesque mermaid logo. People are all whipped up into a cappuccino lather. Why depart from the ubiquitous green gal? Is the old logo drab and lifeless? What's up with the new-old gimmick? According to CEO Howard Schultz: “I think the logo’s going to be somewhat disruptive. . . .We want people to talk about it.”

My understanding about the development and re-design of the Starbucks logo is that it was simplified to remove the shocking parts: breasts (!), voluptuous flesh, unkempt siren's hair, and worst of all, that tail crotch (?!). I don't know; I find her quirky and appealing in that small, independent coffee shop with a hideous amateur logo kind of way. Let's just say that I don't frequent my favorite local coffee shop based on their identity, but on the artistry of their foam and caramel smoothness of their espresso shots.

Starbucks, I'm afraid you can never go back. You're a slick, corporate coffee giant. Better bring back the green gal before your loyal customers get confused.


No comments: