Friday, July 11, 2008

Constraction at Deitch Projects


I'm not sure why I torture myself by remaining on the Deitch Projects mailing list, since every time a new exhibition announcement arrives, I really really really wish I lived a little closer to NYC. Take, for instance, the above installation view of Constraction, the latest show at Deitch; it looks like contemporary abstraction at its most glorious. According to the Deitch site, the artists included in the show (one of my absolute favorites: Tauba Auerbach) are "reshuffling the deck of conceptualism and minimalism" and "reviving strategies in abstraction that have fallen into disuse and reinvigorating them with contemporary concerns". That's artspeak for abstract work the acknowledges the past without being overly referential, drab, boring, and over done. Plus, it looks really cool.

No comments: